Honeywood Museum is set in a grade II listed building and is Sutton borough’s heritage centre and local history museum, occupying a lovely 17th-century building on the banks of Carshalton’s scenic ponds.
In 1883 the building was purchased by London merchant John Pattinson Kirk, and thought to be used as country retreat. In 1903, he added a large Edwardian wing to the south end of the Honeywood, which was pebble-dashed and decorated in mock Tutors style.
During the late 1980’s the building was converted into a heritage centre and named the Honeywood Museum. Opening in 1990, since when it has been repainted in the 1930 decorative scheme and completely refurbished.It now has exhibition rooms in the north corridor and on the ground floor, including a scullery, a magnificent Edwardian billiards room, a Second World War room and nursery. The collection contains over 6,000 items—mainly from the 19th and 20th centuries—representing the history of local communities.