Old Speech Room Gallery, Harrow School
The Old Speech Room Gallery at Harrow School was built in 1819-21 as a chamber in which to encourage public speaking. It was converted into a gallery by Alan Irvine in 1976 as a repository for the School's varied and distinguished collection of antiquities and fine art.
The Old Speech Room houses the School’s collections of Egyptian, Greek and Etruscan antiquities; sculpture, oil paintings, prints and watercolours; Japanese prints; Coptic textiles; natural history; stamps; rare books; coins and medals, as well as collections relating to Old Harrovians such as Churchill, Byron, Sheridan, Codrington and Cecil Beaton.
Temporary exhibitions change every term. Boys from the OSRG Arts Society assist the Curator in the production of the permanent and temporary displays.