Marble Hill House
Marble Hill House is a beautiful 18th-century villa in the London borough of Richmond upon Thames. Built between 1724—1729 the Grade I listed building is the last complete survivor of the elegant villas which boarded the Thames between Richmond and Hampton Court in the 18th century.
Architect Roger Morris designed the house for Henrietta Howard, one of the many mistresses of King George II. Henrietta, a lady-in-waiting to Queen Caroline, was a patron of the arts and a great lover of music, and she used the house as a place to entertain and host musical performances.
The house is an excellent example of 18th-century Palladian architecture set in a beautiful garden that is also an important example of 18th-century garden design. Built of red brick and Portland stone, it features a grand entrance hall, a large salon, and several smaller rooms, all of which are decorated in the style of the time. The house also has a large garden, designed by Charles Bridgeman and considered one of the most important examples of 18th-century garden design in England.
One of the most striking features of the house is the large curved bay window, which is located on the first floor and provides a beautiful view of the garden and the river Thames. The window is a characteristic of Palladian architecture and is a feature that can be seen in many other examples of this style of architecture.
The house was initially located on the banks of the Thames. And in the 20th century, the river was diverted, and the house was left on an island surrounded by a moat. This isolation has helped to preserve Marble Hill House and its garden and has made it a popular spot for visitors.
The house is owned and maintained by English Heritage and is open to the public. Visitors can tour Marble Hill House and garden and learn about the house's history and its inhabitants. Regular events and activities take place at the house, such as musical performances, lectures, and workshops.